6/02/2010

Unrelated: CompUSA Sweepstakes

On the real-life side of things, I have taken to entering sweepstakes. So far, I have supposedly won a Nook (e-reader), but I'm not going to celebrate that fully until it arrives. I don't trust any entities about this sort of thing.

CompUSA recently held a rather... lucrative Sweepstakes. And at the end of it, did something I consider to be quite underhanded and shady.



Let me give you the highlights, taken from their Rules page ( http://www.compusa.com/sectors/sweepstakes/3d/rules_3d.asp )-

The Prize: One (1) Samsung UN55C7000 55" 3D LED HDTV, One (1) Samsung BD-C6900 3D Blu-ray Player and One (1) Samsung SSG-P2100T 3D Starter Kit Bundle. Approximate Retail Value is $3,330.

Winner Selection: Sponsor will conduct a random drawing to select one (1) entrant as the prize winner on June 2, 2010.

From the top portion of the rules: THE COMPUSA 3D HDTV GIVEAWAY SWEEPSTAKES (“SWEEPSTAKES”) BEGINS AT 12:01AM EASTERN DAYLIGHT TIME (“EDT”) APRIL 18, 2010 AND ENDS AT 11:59PM EDT ON MAY 26, 2010. WINNERS WILL BE ANNOUNCED ON JUNE 2, 2010. THE SWEEPSTAKES IS SUBJECT TO THESE OFFICIAL RULES (“OFFICIAL RULES”) AND BY ENTERING, ENTRANT AGREES TO BE BOUND BY THEM TO BE ELIGIBLE TO WIN ANY SWEEPSTAKES PRIZES.


So, we see the drawing date was stated (twice!) to be June 2, 2010. That's today.

Winner's names will be posted on the CompUSA.com/go/local/winners Web site for 72 hours after the drawing (Noon EDT to Noon EDT). Entrants must visit CompUSA.com/go/local/winners, to confirm if they have been selected as one of the prize winners. Prize winner must claim their prize, via a web form, within 72 business hours of posting.


Now, I set up my Google Calendar to remind me to check this out. I mean, who wouldn't want to be diligent about finding out if they won some serious HD equipment? Today, I go to their site to see who won.

From http://www.compusa.com/winners/index.asp -
# Date Posted Name Location Claim Deadline
1 5/28/10 Tom L. FL 33510 6/1/10

If your name is listed above, please enter your information below to claim your prize. This must be done no later than the claim date next to your name. The email address entered below must match what you used to enter the sweepstakes. All prize details will be sent to the confirmed winners on 06/01/2010.


Forgive the formatting. As you can see, the winner was selected and posted on 5/28/2010. This is a FAR cry from 6/2/2010 posted in the rules. Plus! the deadline for claiming the prize? A full 24 hours prior to the stated drawing date. If I had won? You better believe I would be livid. As it is, my opinion of CompUSA has gone down by quite a LOT for this shenaniganry.

Now, it does state in the rules that if the rules change, there'll be an announcement on the CompUSA pages. I have not been able to find any such announcement ANYWHERE on the CompUSA site.

So. CompUSA: Good job at being underhanded. I hope Tom L. of Florida got his prize despite your crappy attempt to not have to cough up the goods.

No comments:

Archive